For the past couple of years, most of us have been cocooned in the comforts of our sweet abodes, doing online classes or working from home or waiting for the pandemic to end. While tourism slowed down, many resort corporations used the time to improve their amenities, if not build completely new facilities. One of these is CaSoBe.
CaSoBe is short for Calatagan South Beach, a nickname for this part of the southwestern coast of the municipality. This 15-hectare residential-commercial estate is being marketed as the next tourism hotspot. It encompasses Aquaria Waterpark, Crusoe Cabins, and the brand new Cocoons.
Cocoons is owned and managed by Millennial Resorts Corporation. These unique sleeping pods take the shape of huge cylindrical concrete drainage pipes, transformed into unique colorful private nooks, reminiscent of capsule hotels and offering an out-of-the-ordinary lodging experience. Presently, there are two Cocoon complexes in Batangas — one in Calatagan and the other in Laiya.
This article focuses on the Calatagan complex. There will be a total of 18 Garden Cocoons in the CaSoBe property, all fully furnished and with free WiFi. One of the greatest perks of booking a cocoon is having access not just to the beach but also the amenities of Aquaria Water Park next to it.
Interested in booking a night in one of these modern lodgings? Here are some of the things to know before you go.
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS GUIDE?
As of November 2021, Cocoons at CaSoBe welcomes guests of ALL AGES!
But note that it can only accept those from GCQ and MGCQ areas with Alert Level 1-3.
YES. Because of the limited number of cocoons, book your cocoon in advance to secure your slot for your preferred date. It’s also best to book two to three weeks in advance; it might be a month or more for peak season dates.
Furthermore, the local government of Calatagan requires confirmed reservation before being allowed entry to the municipality. There is usually a checkpoint along the way.
Cocoons at CaSoBe offers fully air-conditioned Garden Cocoons with amenities, good for two pax. Booking a cocoon provides you access to Aquaria Water Park and Calatagan South Beach. These published rates are inclusive of taxes.
- P3,600/night: Off-Peak Season
- P4,350/night: Peak Season
- The rates and terms are subject to change without prior notice.
- Aquaria Water Park is closed on Tuesdays, but you can still access the beach.
- Children six years old and below are free of charge and can share the bed with their parents.
- Each cocoon can accommodate two adults + one child six years old and below.
- Breakfast is not included in the rates.
You may book online via Agoda or their website.
We highly encourage you to still email them at firstname.lastname@example.org after booking so you could ask for the LATEST list of requirements and policies.
In our case, because we already have an existing day tour arrangement for Aquaria Water Park that got postponed, we just contacted them via email to change it into an overnight stay at Cocoons. It was a smooth transaction since both of them are managed by Calatagan South Beach (CaSoBe).
As of November 2021, here are the requirements when traveling to Cocoons at CaSoBe:
- Confirmed Reservation. This can be your Confirmation Letter or Booking Voucher. This will serve as proof of your booking or reservation.
- Travel Coordination Permit (TCP) through S-Pass. Calatagan is a restricted municipality in Batangas requiring TCP via S-Pass account. If you don’t have an S-Pass account yet, here’s how to register: How to Get S-Pass: Travel Coordination Permit (TCP).
- For guests 11 years old and below, a copy of the birth certificate. The birth certificate shall be presented instead of the S-Pass travel permit. The accompanying guardian must complete all the requirements.
- For guests 12-18 years old, negative RT-PCR (swab or saliva) test result, 72 hours before arrival date OR negative Antigen test result, 24 hours before arrival date. This is for those who are NOT yet fully vaccinated. The result must be done or certified by a DOH-accredited test center.
- For guests 18 years old and above, a vaccination card for fully vaccinated guests or an RT-PCR (or Antigen) Negative test result for unvaccinated guests. For vaccinated guests, at least 14 days have passed after your second dose before the arrival date. For unvaccinated guests, the negative test result must be within 72 hours before the arrival date.
- Valid Government-Issued IDs
- Make sure to bring two (2) hard copies of the documents. The officer-in-charge or a CaSoBe staff member will ask for a copy at the checkpoint. The other one will be presented at the resort’s registration counter.
- When uploading your requirements for S-Pass TCP, you can upload the vaccine card if fully vaccinated in the “RT-PCR Negative Result or Equivalent” section. You may upload a copy of your booking confirmation voucher/receipt in the “Other Documents” section.
- Kids and senior citizens are allowed. Just secure all the necessary documents required by the resort. Pregnant women and persons with co-morbidities are not allowed. This is in accordance with the guidelines of Administrative Order No. 2020-006-C.
- Still following the guidelines of A.O. No. 2020-006-C, guests must come from CALABARZON or NCR regions and must adhere to the “point to point” travel between the two regions.
- These restrictions are subject to change based on the prevailing local government policies so we highly encourage you to get in touch with the resort and/or the LGU before booking and before your trip.
The most ideal times are weekdays and off-peak seasons. The rates are usually cheaper compared to peak season rates.
Otherwise, it’s best to plan and book way ahead of your intended arrival if you really can’t help going on a weekend, holiday, or peak season.
Cocoons at CaSoBe is located in Barangay Sta. Ana in Calatagan, Batangas. Coming from Manila, the travel time is three to four hours, depending on traffic conditions.
By Private Car
Traveling via private vehicle is the safest option these days. Going to Calatagan from Manila, the South Luzon Expressway (SLEX) is the fastest route. Another route is via Aguinaldo Highway. Whichever route you choose, road tripping is now easier when you consult Waze or Google Maps for direction.
- From SLEX, you can either take Santa Rosa Exit or Mamplasan Exit. The latter is a faster route with the launching of the Cavite-Laguna Expressway (CALAX). Ready your Autosweep and EasyTrip (if taking CALAX).
- Whatever route you take, you will be driving along Santa Rosa-Tagaytay Road. Continue driving until you reach Tagaytay Rotonda.
- Continue driving along Tagaytay-Nasugbu Road. You will reach the Batangas-Cavite boundary, driving past the arc with a “Welcome to Nasugbu” greeting.
- Take a right turn when you reach the Palico Rotonda or junction. The landmarks are Jollibee and Caltex.
- Continue driving along Palico-Nasugbu Highway until you reach the Lian-Nasugbu Intersection / Rotonda. Your landmarks are Shakey’s and Shell gasoline station.
- Take the Calatagan-Lian Highway, passing through Lian town proper. There may be a checkpoint upon entry to Lian so make sure you have the requirements and tell the staff that you’re bound for Calatagan. Continue driving until you reach the boundary of Calatagan and Lian.
- You will reach the checkpoint where you need to present the travel requirements.
- When you are already cleared, continue driving through Calatagan town proper. You will pass by Lago de Oro. Follow the signs.
- Continue driving, passing by Stilts. Shortly after, you will see the CaSoBe entrance to your right.
Alternative Route: Another route from SLEX is to continue driving to STAR Tollway then take Batangas City Exit. Then drive through the towns of Bauan, Lemery, Calaca, and Balayan to reach Calatagan.
By Public Transportation
Most buses bound for Batangas can now be found at the Parañaque Integrated Terminal Exchange (PITX). Unfortunately, we haven’t tried this yet. But based on information posted at the terminal, here’s the ticket booth assignment and location, trip assignment, and operating hours:
If the bus strip will not travel all the way to Calatagan and will only stop in Nasugbu, you can ride a jeepney from Nasugbu to Calatagan Town Proper. Then hail a tricycle to CaSoBe (or Aquaria). The fare is P200, but you can add a tip if you want.
“Usually” because we’ve been to Calatagan a few times this year and there was always a checkpoint each time, except on our recent trip. We asked the Aquaria staff why we didn’t encounter any checkpoint this time around and we were told that it has since become occasional. That said, visitors are still required to bring a copy of their S-Pass TCP and all the other requirements because you’ll never know when the checkpoint will be there and because it’s the right thing to do.
The gateway to Cocoons is CaSoBe, so you need to go to the resort administration/guest services area to register and check in.
- Fill out the Registration and Waiver Forms. You are required to accomplish these forms online before your arrival. The link will be in the reservation/booking confirmation sent to you via email.
- Enter through CaSoBe Gate. The guard at the entrance will ask for your business and if you have confirmed booking/reservation. Show him your confirmation voucher/receipt.
- You will be asked to park your car first (if traveling via private car), then go through the sanitation process: foot bath, hand washing, and applying alcohol.
- You will go through thermal/temperature scanning.
- Present all your requirements for checking: booking confirmation, valid IDs, vaccination card or RT-PCR/Antigen Test Negative Result.
- Payment and Incidental Deposit. Present the credit card used in the reservation and the valid ID of the credit card owner. Pay in full upon check-in. An incidental deposit worth P1,000 will be required upon check-in (cash or credit card). You will also be charged a government-mandated P30 ecological fee per person.
- Fill out the check-in form.
- Proceed to the designated parking lot for Cocoons’ guests.
- Park and wait for the electric golf buggy to transport you and your baggage to your cocoon cluster.
- Your key bracelets will be given to you by the staff.
- Enjoy your extraordinary overnight stay at Cocoons!
- The official receipt will be issued upon check-out.
- Each room is sanitized. You will see the sticker (Sanitized and Disinfected) near the door handle.
- Aside from toiletries, towels are provided too.
- The storage area below the bed is best for soft bags, duffel bags, and backpacks; not so much for boxy or hard case luggage.
The check-in time for Cocoons guests is at 2:00 PM; the check-out time is at 12:00 PM.
- Check-in Time: 2:00 PM
- Check-out Time: 12:00 PM
- Early check-in is possible, but it depends on room availability. Check-in between 12:00 PM and 2:00 PM is free of charge, while check-in between 6:00 AM and 11:59 AM will incur a cost of 50% of the published rate.
- Late check-out is also possible, depending on room availability. Late check-out until 2:00 PM is free of charge, while check-out after 2:00 PM but before 6:00 PM will incur a half-day room charge. Checking out after 6:00 PM will incur a full-day room charge.
- Fully Air-Conditioned Garden Cocoons
- Queen Size Bed
- Flat-Screen TV and Cable
- Safety Deposit Box
- Complimentary Coffee
- Complimentary Bottled Water (1L)
- Sanitary Kit (Face Mask and Alcohol)
- Toiletries (Soap, Shampoo, and Conditioner)
- Baggage Storage
- Mini Fridge
- Picnic Tables
- Sand Pit Lounge
- Personal Lounge Area (Two Chairs and a Table)
- Toilet and Shower Room
While it is pretty compact inside, each cocoon maximizes the limited space by making each nook useful. For example, there is a big niche under the bed where you can place your bags. Beside the bed are cabinets that can store smaller items. The TV can be turned to face the TV at bedtime and to the side to get it out of the way when it’s not being used.
There is also a small refrigerator with complimentary bottled water.
Here are some photos:
The toilet and shower room are detached and are shared per cluster.
Our cluster has five (5) cocoons, sharing one shower unit and one toilet unit.
Here’s what they look like:
Upon check-in, you will be given the Aquaria Guest Pass. In our case, it was a bright yellow sticker wristband. Here are the guidelines:
- The Pass must be worn AT ALL TIMES within the CaSoBe premises. We wore it while swimming, showering, and sleeping. Haha! The sticker is very durable, so you need not worry.
- The Pass allows Cocoons guests to access Aquaria amenities.
- This is valid for one day only (24 hours).
- Do not tamper or damage your pass. Tampered pass will not be honored.
- No refunds. The management is not responsible for the loss of valuables, accidents, and injuries.
Bringing outside food and beverages is not permitted. You can order your food from one of Aquaria Water Park’s in-house dining places.
- The Sands. This is one of Aquaria Water Park’s in-house restaurants, serving Filipino-themed meals, snacks, and beverages. The Sands is open from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Contact Number: +63 961 875 9226
- Taza Mia Coffee / The Coffee Shack. In-house coffee shop, brewing and serving iconic Batangas coffee, Kapeng Barako. The coffee drinks are brewed and served by Taza Mia. It’s open from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Contact Number: +63 947 169 7302
- Rib Shack. This restaurant serves ribs and Peri-peri chicken. It also offers pizzas, buns and sandwiches, snacks, seafood, soup, salad, and kid-friendly meals. Rib Shack is open from 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM. Contact Number: +63 968 883 3198
- Swing Bar. This unique bar features swing seats. Drink your favorite cocktails while bonding with friends or watching the sunset. You can also order your favorite comfort food here from the Rib Shack.
If you insist on bringing in outside food, there shall be corresponding corkage fees.
Every Cocoons booking comes with access to Aquaria Water Park’s swimming pools, water slides, and other amenities. For more info about that, we created a separate travel guide for it here: AQUARIA WATER PARK RESORT GUIDE!
Aside from these, here are other activities to enjoy:
- Island Hopping Tour. Aquaria partners with Edna’s Boat Ride for a three-destination tour that includes Starfish Island, Snorkeling Site, and a sandbar the locals call “Little Boracay”. The rate is at P500 for the duration of two and a half hours.
- Beach Volleyball
- Beach Soccer
- Banana Boat
NOTE: The boat tour is operational, but the rest may be temporarily suspended until further notice. Check the resort’s Facebook page or contact the management for updates.
It’s a YES for us! It’s like scoring a Buy 1 Get 1 deal — an overnight stay in one of these unique and colorful cocoons PLUS access to all amenities of Aquaria Water Park. You also get to appreciate this beautiful property at night and during the day — including the sunrise and sunset too!
Personally, this has been added to my growing list of memorable travel experiences. It may cater mainly to couples and solo travelers, but friends and even big families can book multiple cocoons or one entire cocoon cluster/complex, making it a fun small community in a beach setting.
- Follow the property’s health and safety protocols.
- Observe proper social distancing.
- This might not be suitable for those with claustrophobia.
- Food delivery to your cabin is permitted; however, the resort staff is only allowed to deliver outside your cabin to reduce physical contact and protect both parties.
- Alcohol and masks will be provided when you book a cabin for an overnight stay.
- Cashless transaction or contactless payment is highly encouraged. The preferred mode of payment is via credit card, debit card, BDO Pay, or PayMaya. Cash is still accepted for additional charges while inside the water park.
- Regular sanitization of areas and high-touch items is strictly implemented. Cabins are also cleaned and sanitized thoroughly before the next guests check-in.
- No outside food is allowed inside the water park except for chips and light snacks.
- Outside drinks are subject to corkage fees.
- You cannot bring food inside the pool cabanas.
- Wear proper swimming attire: bathing suits, rash guards, board shorts, and trunks. No cotton material. You may also wear aqua shoes.
- Guests must be at least four feet (4ft) in height to access the Giant Slide.
- The swimming pools are open from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM only. No swimming in the pool before 8:00 AM and beyond 6:00 PM.
- No pets allowed.
- Protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun. Bring sun protection like hats, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
- Please use coral-friendly brands. A study conducted by the Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology revealed that many sunblock products contain chemicals like oxybenzone, benzophenone, and parabens that are harmful to marine life. Choose the ones that do not contain these chemicals.
- Wear comfortable footwear or aqua shoes. The sand can be too hot when the sun is high, especially at noon.
- Follow the property’s safety protocols and procedures.
- E-mail Address: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Landline: +632 8836 5055
- Mobile Number: +63 999 225 3333. Note that this number is available only on weekends.
- Official Website: cocoons.millennial-resort.com
- Social Media: Cocoons (Facebook) / @cocoons_official (Instagram)
- PNP: 117
- Calatagan PNP: 0917 337 5190 / 0998 598 5687
- Calatagan Fire Station: 0977 849 9162
- Calatagan Medicare Hospital: 0917 817 7310
- Calatagan RHU: 0917 822 9129
- DOH COVID-19 Hotline: (02) 894-26843 or (02) 894-COVID / 1555 (For PLDT, Smart, Sun, and TNT Subscribers)